[sunset4] WG Adoption call for draft-chen-sunset4-nat64-port-allocation
George, Wes
2015-04-21 17:46:47 UTC
This will start the two week adoption call for draft-chen-sunset4-nat64-port-allocation. This is the draft that previously was known as draft-chen-sunset4-cng-port-allocation but was renamed once the IPR-encumbered text was removed.

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-sunset4-nat64-port-allocation/

Please send support for adoption to the list, as well as any comments to improve the draft. This is a current charter milestone for the WG.

Thanks,

Wes

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I have no control over it.
-----------

________________________________
Fan, Peng
2015-04-27 13:20:07 UTC
Support for adoption.

JF Tremblay
2015-05-01 20:36:42 UTC
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-sunset4-nat64-port-allocation/ <http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-sunset4-nat64-port-allocation/>
Please send support for adoption to the list, as well as any comments to improve the draft. This is a current charter milestone for the WG.
I’ve found the information presented in this document to be useful for deployers of NAT64s and support its adoption.

My general feeling of the document, however, is that many topics are described very verbosely, sometimes in a confusing manner. It would be great to use more to-the-point language and descriptions. Having a clear and focused document on port {block,range} allocations techniques, sizes and pitfalls would help the reader. Describing the vocabulary, design goals and tradeoffs would also be useful.

I had the following comments regarding the content:

2.2.2 "Preassigned port ranges occupy memory even when there are unused ports."
Really? A range with two port numbers is negligible quantity compared to a five-tuple or other data.

2.4.1 "The storage of log information may pose a challenge to operators, since it requires additional resources and data inspection processes to identify users."
The data inspection remark here does not make sense. The NAT might correlate source addresses to user information if it has it available, but it won’t inspect. The NAT does not store either.

2.4.1 In the result table, the dynamic port-range allocation is dependant of the range size and timing, that should be mentioned. (what values where used to get to this result?)

2.4.2: "The user's behavior normally correlates with system performance.”
Did you mean s/behavior/experience/ ? Otherwise I can’t grok this. Even with that change, I’m sure if this sentence is useful.

2.4.2: I’m not sure the reference to RFC6191 makes that much sense. RFC6191 describes host behavior for incoming connections, while the goal here is to safely optimize re-use of outgoing NAT ports.
As a side note, it might be useful to discuss the merits and problems relating to TIME-WAIT assassination here.

2.4.3: Why not cover port block randomization here as well?

3.2 The whole section about block timers is quite hard to follow. A block may have an additional timer applied after all ports are free. Having a clear definition here would help more than discussions around it.

3.2 6th paragraph suggests a very dangerous idea, that is to re-use ports in the latest block as soon as possible. This has the potential of bringing problems with rapid port re-use in blocks with very few available ports. This also slows down block re-allocation and reduces port usage overall, because of the typical port usage patterns (which is spiky in nature rather than linear).

3.3 The recommendations on source port logging are superfluous in this document. RFC6302 is well enough imo.

Things I didn’t see in this document that an implementer may be looking for:
- Port allocation design goals.
- Clear definitions of port range allocation terms (including timers)
- Address stickiness concept definition
- Possible ratios of users per address and tradeoffs.
- The idea of a refresh log (in addition to start-end logs, for long-lived blocks)
- Discussion on logging stability, timestamping, reliability.
- Discussion on port usage patterns and re-usage algorithms

JF
GangChen
2015-05-03 13:36:01 UTC
Thank you for the comments. I'd seen it's great useful to improve the
draft quality.
Please see my reply inline.
Post by George, Wes
[...]
Great. You just hit the point.
That is also my thinking how to improve the draft description.
2.2.2 "Preassigned port ranges occupy memory even when there are unused ports."
Really? A range with two port numbers is negligible quantity compared to a
five-tuple or other data.
I guess it may not only port information matter. One implementation I
can see is it will also create mapping table when it reserves a port
range.
2.4.1 "The storage of log information may pose a challenge to operators,
since it requires additional resources and data inspection processes to
identify users."
The data inspection remark here does not make sense. The NAT might correlate
source addresses to user information if it has it available, but it won’t
inspect. The NAT does not store either.
the issue is a NAT may don't know what source address should be correlated.
Therefore, the NAT have to store entire information preparing the searching.
For your information, the NAT should store at least three-months log
in our networks.
2.4.1 In the result table, the dynamic port-range allocation is dependant of
the range size and timing, that should be mentioned. (what values where used
to get to this result?)
great. I will add in the next version.
2.4.2: "The user's behavior normally correlates with system performance.”
Did you mean s/behavior/experience/ ? Otherwise I can’t grok this. Even with
that change, I’m sure if this sentence is useful.
The sentence is not useful. I like the proposal that just directly
going to the point . I will change the description.
2.4.2: I’m not sure the reference to RFC6191 makes that much sense. RFC6191
describes host behavior for incoming connections, while the goal here is to
safely optimize re-use of outgoing NAT ports.
As a side note, it might be useful to discuss the merits and problems
relating to TIME-WAIT assassination here.
Got your point. It will be clear.
2.4.3: Why not cover port block randomization here as well?
Good to know more if you point me a reference of "port block randomization".
3.2 The whole section about block timers is quite hard to follow. A block
may have an additional timer applied after all ports are free. Having a
clear definition here would help more than discussions around it.
3.2 6th paragraph suggests a very dangerous idea, that is to re-use ports in
the latest block as soon as possible. This has the potential of bringing
problems with rapid port re-use in blocks with very few available ports.
This also slows down block re-allocation and reduces port usage overall,
because of the typical port usage patterns (which is spiky in nature rather
than linear).
3.3 The recommendations on source port logging are superfluous in this
document. RFC6302 is well enough imo.
Those three questions I would leave to my co-authors for more feedback.
- Port allocation design goals.
- Clear definitions of port range allocation terms (including timers)
- Address stickiness concept definition
- Possible ratios of users per address and tradeoffs.
- The idea of a refresh log (in addition to start-end logs, for long-lived blocks)
- Discussion on logging stability, timestamping, reliability.
- Discussion on port usage patterns and re-usage algorithms
That is a good suggestion. Those information may implicitly described
in the document.
Again, I agree you general comments of " to-the-point language and
descriptions."
It hopefully will be clear when we improve the description.

Best Regards

Gang
JF
JF Tremblay
2015-05-04 14:29:39 UTC
Post by JF Tremblay
2.4.1 "The storage of log information may pose a challenge to operators,
since it requires additional resources and data inspection processes to
identify users."
The data inspection remark here does not make sense. The NAT might correlate
source addresses to user information if it has it available, but it won’t
inspect. The NAT does not store either.
the issue is a NAT may don't know what source address should be correlated.
Therefore, the NAT have to store entire information preparing the searching.
For your information, the NAT should store at least three-months log
in our networks.
In my opinion:
- NATs do not / should not store logs. This is done by an external server (syslog or other).
- NATs do not correlate source addresses to users, unless it already has that information available. This can be done offline by a server with much more ressources.

This could be guidance to put in this document, if not mentioned elsewhere. (but I thought that was quite obvious)
Post by GangChen
Post by JF Tremblay
2.4.3: Why not cover port block randomization here as well?
Good to know more if you point me a reference of "port block randomization”.
There isn’t a reference. I might have coined the term a couple of years back, not sure. This is basically the act of randomizing the assignments of blocks instead or in conjunction with port randomization within the block.
This could be a concept defined and discussed in this document.

/JF
Huangjing (A)
2015-05-05 07:11:03 UTC
Hi, JF,

See inline

James
Post by JF Tremblay
[...]
Agree, log processing is out of the scope of NAT.
Post by GangChen
Post by JF Tremblay
2.4.3: Why not cover port block randomization here as well?
Good to know more if you point me a reference of "port block
randomization”.
There isn’t a reference. I might have coined the term a couple of years back,
not sure. This is basically the act of randomizing the assignments of blocks
instead or in conjunction with port randomization within the block.
This could be a concept defined and discussed in this document.
I think you are talking about the port block randomization algorithms similar to those defined in RFC6431.
Will add some analysis and reference
/JF
JF Tremblay
2015-05-05 12:11:05 UTC
Post by Huangjing (A)
Post by GangChen
Post by GangChen
Good to know more if you point me a reference of "port block
randomization”.
There isn’t a reference. I might have coined the term a couple of years back,
not sure. This is basically the act of randomizing the assignments of blocks
instead or in conjunction with port randomization within the block.
This could be a concept defined and discussed in this document.
I think you are talking about the port block randomization algorithms similar to those defined in RFC6431.
Will add some analysis and reference
Thanks for the reference, James. Interesting. I had in mind a non-cryptographically random set of port, which doesn’t seem to be handled in RFC6431. That would basically be a continuous set of ports where the first port is assigned randomly or semi-randomly (could be on block boundary for example). This concept could be defined and discussed in this document, but it’s just a minor point for discussion/improvement.

JF
Mukom Akong T.
2015-05-10 18:04:07 UTC
I've read it and support adoption as well. I also agree with JF's point
that the NAT doesn't do logging and inspection. While that is an important
consideration deployment, I think section 2.4.1 should explicitly state
that such logging and inspection are done on another system, not the NAT64
one.

Regards

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 4:11 PM, JF Tremblay <
Post by JF Tremblay
Post by Huangjing (A)
Will add some analysis and reference
Thanks for the reference, James. Interesting. I had in mind a
non-cryptographically random set of port, which doesn’t seem to be handled
in RFC6431. That would basically be a continuous set of ports where the
first port is assigned randomly or semi-randomly (could be on block
boundary for example). This concept could be defined and discussed in this
document, but it’s just a minor point for discussion/improvement.
JF
Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence | twitter: @perfexcellent
“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran
GangChen
2015-05-11 02:57:12 UTC
Hello Mukom and JF,

Thank you for the review and support.
The point of NAT logging is well understood.
We will explicitly state that in the next version.

Best Regards

Gang
Post by JF Tremblay
Huangjing (A)
2015-05-19 02:20:04 UTC
Hi, JF,

Thanks for the information!

James
JF
Lee Howard
2015-06-02 17:21:22 UTC
Post by JF Tremblay
Post by JF Tremblay
2.4.1 "The storage of log information may pose a challenge to operators,
since it requires additional resources and data inspection processes to
identify users."
The data inspection remark here does not make sense. The NAT might correlate
source addresses to user information if it has it available, but it
won¹t
inspect. The NAT does not store either.
the issue is a NAT may don't know what source address should be correlated.
Therefore, the NAT have to store entire information preparing the searching.
For your information, the NAT should store at least three-months log
in our networks.
- NATs do not / should not store logs. This is done by an external server (syslog or other).
True; the operators of NATs store logs.
Post by JF Tremblay
- NATs do not correlate source addresses to users, unless it already has
that information available. This can be done offline by a server with
much more ressources.
Also true. As guidance to the operator of a NAT, though, this is useful
guidance.

Lee
/JF
George, Wes
2015-05-11 15:07:08 UTC
We have seen no opposition to adopting this document as a WG document. Authors, when you have a version ready that incorporates the recent feedback, please post it as as draft-ietf-sunset4-nat64-port-allocation

Thanks,

Wes